Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Ok, Let's Crank It Up Again

As both of you know (my two readers) I used to be a big fish in a very small pond, the Conservative Wahoo pond. I spent, gee, maybe nine or ten years expounding my world view (some say BS) to an audience primarily made up of ex-Navy officers and CW's ex-girlfiends. CW and I were a marriage made in heaven (in a heteronormative kind of way). We shared a love of politics and once had very similar opinions, and I genuinely like the guy. CW is very bright, hard working, ambitious, disciplined and focused, in other words all the things I am not. But I had something CW needed for a successful blog and maybe he saw that. After all our backgrounds are VERY different. He's a east coast guy working his way up the establishment ladder: UVA, Navy officer, think tanks, war colleges and defense institutes. I, on the other hand am just a Redneck from an obscure little tobacco town in Eastern NC. I joined the Army at 18 because my girlfriend dumped me. Three years Spec/4, public college on the GI Bill. I've been to DC three times in my life, once on a junior high field trip.

But again, I had (have) something CW needed (and still needs) but will never possess. That something is instinct. As gifted as my friend is, he is as politically nearsighted as anyone I've ever met. CW couldn't see what's just around the corner if his life depended on it, and in politics that is an absolute necessity. Plus there is no substitute for instinct, you either have it or you don't, and whatever other skills one may possess they cannot make up for the lack thereof. CW if you are reading this I apologize for pointing this out, and you have my permission (as if you needed it) to point out my innumerable flaws if you choose (both of intellect and character). But know this, I am forever grateful to you for allowing me to espouse my, as you say "over the top" views. As you probably know, most of the time I was only trying to have a little fun (I'm a fun junkie, always have been). So keep in mind we are still pals even though we've taken divergent and conflicting paths. I just wish the hell you had listened (heartbroken in fact). If you had I'd be visiting some big office in DC right about now and YOU would be making policy.

Well enough of that, all things must pass (as George Harrison once said). I was going to prognosticate and pontificate a bit but I find myself not quite in the mood now. So give me a few days and I'll give you a fresh portion of bullshit like only the Hammer can. Stay tuna.






3 comments:

  1. I added you to my blog roll...good to see you blogging on your own again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a SP4 for a few years back in the black boot army days. I joined the army because I wrecked my buddy's 1967 Cougar, and I didn't have a job to pay him back. Stayed in for 10 years. Got kicked out for smoking pot, best thing that ever happened to me, although at the time it didn't seem that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Black boot Army"? Never heard it described that way. It was the "brown boot Army" lifers used to reminisce about in my day: "God-damn-it, if this were the brown boot Army I came up in I'd kick your ass and put you shoveling shit for a week". So I guess I was in the black boot Army too. OD uniforms, black boots, baseball caps and boxer shorts. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete